Start a new topic

Is there anything I can do to reduce my Gerber file sizes for large arrays?

We are making rotary optical encoder disks.  The base file only contains 1 disk and it is say 300 or 400 kb.  So it’s pretty small.  But then we plot these on a large sheet of mylar.  So in this particular example I made an array of disks that is 22 x 17, so 374 disks.  Each one with over 1000 line segments plus text and many other features.  The gerber export successfully completed after about 30 minutes.  Probably just because it was a large file (150mb).  Is there anything I can do to reduce my Gerber file sizes for large arrays?

Thanks for your explanation.

FAB 3000 now has the ability to used "Arrayed Inserts" (which are similar to AutoCAD Minserts).  This allows you to create a single encoder design, then create a new Job, and use the Array Insert feature to Step/Repeat.  Here's a tutorial movie:

By using this technique you will:
(1) Reduce your Gerber file sizes by over 350X.
(2) Save Time. Perform export in 30 seconds (or less).
(3) Happier Fabricators or Photoplotters.  Because they will not need to handle such a large file.

step & repeat dialog box is not there after I click insert job.

Prashant
Thanks for your question.  If you do not see a specific feature, we recommend installing the latest update.  Feel free to contact support for any specific questions:
http://www.numericalinnovations.com/pages/customer-support

Login or Signup to post a comment