Start a new topic

Is there any way to convert a layer to drill and replace the original rather than just adding the drills to the flashes?

You may convert any layer to drill, by using the command "Gerber Layer to Drill", which is located in the menu:  Tools | NC Drill | Gerber Layer to Drill.

It will use all flashes found on the gerber layer, and then create drill holes respectively.

Why Flashes?  Flashes contain a center point, and size (i.e width) which is similar to drill holes.  If a rectangle flash is used, FAB 3000 will use the smallest side of the rectangle for the diameter of the drill.

Note:  "Gerber Layer to Drill" will always create a new layer for the drill.  You may delete the gerber layer, by going to the menu:  Edit | Layers | Delete Layers...

I was hoping for was a conversion tick box during import (like fill) which removes the need for manual operations afterwards.  Is there any chance of this being implemented in a future version?
Flashes are required when converting Gerber to Drill. 

If you have drawn data (traces, polygons, etc.), you may first use the FAB 3000 "Convert to Flash" commands. FAB 3000 offers three different commands to Convert draws to Flashes (located in the menu: Tools | Convert To), and I believe the "Convert to Flash (Automatic) would work best in your case.

If you are first importing a DXF/DWG file, you could add "circles" for all drill locations in AutoCAD.  This way FAB 3000 would automatically convert the circles to flashes and use the diameters; when importing your DXF/DWG files.

I'm just learning these tools from scratch, but have generated a .dwg file with a single layer containing all the holes to be drilled. 
I'm starting to learn on ACE3000.
Does ACE3000 use the same commands and sequence of steps as FAB3000 to create the drill file?
Is there a direct route to a drill file from a layer that contains all the drill holes as circles?
If there is a mix of large non-PTH holes (13mm dia.) and small PTH (1.2mm) holes in such a layer: How can the large ones be converted to routed holes? 
How to call out or code PTH v s non PTH holes?
Does the program produce finished hole diameters after PTH, or do I need to spec the Drill Diameter to account for 2x the PTH wall thickness?
.. and If I need to include this increased radius to spec the starting PTH drill diameter, how do I find that for various copper trace thicknesses (like 1,2,3,4) Oz Cu)? 
Login or Signup to post a comment