Thanks for your question.
Yes the Pin Name is used to specifically assign values for the Pin reference (ODB++ doesn't actually store Pin numbers but rather Pin names). During ODB++ export (if a Pin name exists) it will be referenced instead (of the actual Pin#). If you want to output an ODB++ using different Pin Names:
1. Load any ODB++, IPC-2581, etc. into FAB 3000.
2. Open any component Package (menu: Window | Component Package Browser...)
3. View and Edit any component Package you wish.
4. Select one or more pins and go to menu: Edit | Properties...
5. You can assign Pin Name, Number, and other attributes.
Note: You can select multiple Pins at once, and edit properties.
6. Make sure Pin numbers and names are correct. Press button "Save Component Package.." (menu: File and Update Component)
7. During ODB++ Export, Uncheck option, "Output Pin Name as Pin Number"