Yes, you can have an outline board displayed as reference - however it must be rectangular.
Just check menu: View | Film Box
To modify the location and size of the film box, perform the following:
1. Go to menu: Setup | Options...
2. Select tab "Film Box".
3. Enter the values to be displayed.
Note: Whenever you're ready to turn off the film box, uncheck menu: View | Film Box
If it's not rectangular, I would recommend you perform the following:
1. Create a specific border layer with all objects for the border.
2. Lock the border layer (so it cannot be edited).
3. Now view the border layer along with any other layer you wish to reference against.