Start a new topic

FAB-3000 Ubuntu 14.04 installation inctructions

Please provide more updated install for Ubuntu 14.04 OS.
The instruction that I followed does not work.

Thanks.

------------------------

Thanks for submitting a support ticket.  Do you have more information about the troubles you're encountering.  When you attempt to run FAB 3000 Linux what messages are displayed in the command prompt.   Going to our support forum and typing:  Linux      should give you about 40 threads with many involving Linux installation.   Type:  Ubuntu    and you'll get many specific threads such as the following:

Note:  FAB 3000 Linux is built using RedHat.  Ubuntu generally requires you to separately install libraries required by FAB 3000 such as OpenGL, Tiff, etc.

Best regards,
Simon

------------------------

Hello, I did search there and the setup instructions is from a older Ubuntu version.
The current has a later libtiff version, and I can't debug with my limited experience with Ubuntu.

Is there a more recent update to the setup for Ubuntu?

Thank you.

------------------------

The update of FAB 3000 is very recent (less than a week) and fully tested on the latest RedHat and Fedora distributions; in addition we have many customers who use FAB 3000 on Ubuntu.  However, please remember by default free Linux distributions like Ubuntu will install the least amount of library packages as possible (to keep installations small and fast); and then leave it up to the users' responsibility to make sure to all other required libraries used by various applications is installed.  

Note:  For best results when installing Ubuntu, include all packages (like OpenGL, Developer Tools like GNU, etc.)

I believe FAB 3000 Linux already ships with a copy of LibTiff (in it's library folder) -- so my guess is the library path (LD_LIBRARY_PATH) may not assigned correctly or there may be other files missing. If not, libtiff (all versions) is very commonly used on ubuntu and easy to obtain.   To assist you further I will require more detailed output from the terminal window showing the problem when you start FAB 3000.  

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Simon

------------------------

Hello,

I did follow this instructions but it is not updated to latest normal Ubuntu configuration.
Please review and advise of updated in the editing the ".sh" file and symbolic link to libtiff:

Program Installation
----------------------------------
  • Download FAB 3000 (Linux) from the download page.
  • Extract all files to /opt/FAB-3000 (or extract in the GUI and move to /opt/FAB-3000 later)
  • Allow all to edit the FAB3000 files for license and recent list etc. by running the following in a terminal window:
sudo chmod -R a+rw /opt/FAB-3000/*

• Open fab.sh in a test editor

sudo nano /opt/FAB-3000/fab.sh

• Change the file to the following as it wont work out of the box:

#!/bin/sh
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/FAB-3000/lib"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/opt/FAB-3000/fab3000

• FAB3000 uses libtiff.so.3, however Ubuntu ships with a newer version called libtiff.so.4. So we just need to make a link pointing to the newer version, as root enter the following:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3

• Now test running it in the terminal

/opt/FAB-3000/fab.sh

The program should start fine

Installing the License
-----------------------------------
  • Open FAB3000 and in the main window select Help > Enter License Key
  • Open license.lic in a text editor
  • Copy the contents of license.lic into the text box in FAB3000 and click activate, there should be another window that says the license has been activated (I found that the confirmation window was hidden behind the Enter License Key window)

Create Icon
-------------------
  • Right click on panel and select add to panel, double click on Custom Application Launcher

Name = FAB3000
Command = /opt/FAB-3000/fab.sh
Icon can be a picture from the FAB3000 folder

Done!

Thanks,
John Tran

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Numerical Innovations <support@numericalinnovations.freshdesk.com> wrote:

Thanks for submitting a support ticket.  Do you have more information about the troubles you're encountering.  When you attempt to run FAB 3000 Linux what messages are displayed in the command prompt.   Going to our support forum and typing:  Linux      should give you about 40 threads with many involving Linux installation.   Type:  Ubuntu    and you'll get many specific threads such as the following:

Note:  FAB 3000 Linux is built using RedHat.  Ubuntu generally requires you to separately install libraries required by FAB 3000 such as OpenGL, Tiff, etc.

Best regards,
Simon

Please provide more updated install for Ubuntu 14.04 OS.
The instruction that I followed does not work.

Thanks.

------------------------

Thanks for your information!

FYI:  We never link our software to the latest libraries possible.  Why?  Large corporations and universities seldom upgrade their Linux environments and prefer to remain several versions behind.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Simon
Login or Signup to post a comment