Start a new topic

I have attached a sample PDF - I would like to import this into Fab 3000 and export Gerber files to support fabrication of the board.

I have attached a sample PDF - I would like to import this into Fab 3000 and export Gerber files to support fabrication of the board. Traces are polygons, and drilled holes and the border are lines/circles. The artwork that was used to generate the PDF has one layer with pads drawn in as circles with a white dot in the middle. Silkscreen artwork should come in as polygons - to include all the text on that layer. Can your team walk me through the proper way to import to Fab 3000 and export to Gerber format?
1 Comment

I have created a sample tutorial movie showing how to convert your PDF to Gerber (no sound):

https://numericalsoftware-update.s3.amazonaws.com/tutorials/2015-05-22_9-37-36.mp4

Here's the notes from that tutorial movie:
Import PDF

1. Verify PDF Import Options

MAP LAYERS:  "Separate Color per Layer"
Note: This allows FAB 3000 to create separate layers for each object color

CONVERT PATHS to:  "Rounded Path"
Note:  Since you have a PCB, traces & silkscreen are typically expected to be rounded paths - when possible.

2. Load PDF into FAB 3000. 

Note:  Since FAB 3000 is a full-featured editor you can perform the following:
A. Rename Layers

B. Create Drill Tools.

C. Convert Circles to Flashed pads.
Why?  Most PCB manufacturers like having "Flashes" for circular pads in their Gerber files.

D. Merge Trace and Pad layers.

3.  Export to Gerber and drill.

You can obviously use many more advanced features of FAB 3000 such as panelize, DFM check, etc.

That's it!
Login or Signup to post a comment