Start a new topic

How effective is FAB 3000 in finding possible air-gap problems.

How effective is FAB 3000 in finding possible air-gap problems.
1 Comment

How effective is FAB 3000 in finding possible air-gap problems. We have discovered that, based on the resolution of the PCB design tool used, it is possible to have a trace connected to within less than one mil of a pad.  The layout tool might indicate that trace is connected; however, the PCB fabrication house will discover that is not.  This is especially true if one provides the fabrication house with an IPC-D-356A netlist.

Thank you for the excellent question.  The FAB 3000 database is accurate to 1 micron, and that would be the same resolution for finding air-gaps (or any other DFM problem).  However our reports round to the nearest 1/10 mil.

Note:  FAB 3000 used to give accurate reports down to 1 micron, however customers complained about getting too many frivolous errors in the DFM report.  For example if FAB 3000 was told the minimum air gap is 5 mil, and it found a gap 4.998 mil, it would report that as an error.

I'm not sure if you require more than 1/10 mil accuracy on the DFM reports, but if you do let me know and I can find out more information on that topic.
Login or Signup to post a comment