Start a new topic

PCB outline convert to 3D STEP with FAB3000 & ACE 3000

Hi
I am trialling ACE3000 to compare it to FAB3000 for 3D Step files. I've found an issue with FAB3000. The attached workspace has two layers which I am exporting as 3D STEP. PCB Profile & SST_THT. When I export it I do not get the PCB profile filled but I do get the holes showing - see image of FAB3000 Test attached.
I have to export the two layers as Gerber files as the workspace is not compatible with ACE 3000 (newer version of FAB3000 workspace). When I create a 3D STEP file with the translator it works fine, see image attached.

There is one issue with the ACE3000 file. There are two missing holes on the 3D model. See image attached.

Can you please advise,
a) What is wrong with the PCB in the 3D STEP file from FAB3000
b) Why the FAB3000 workspace is not compatible with ACE3000
c) Why are there two missing holes in the ACE3000 file.

Regards
Kenny

------------------------------------------------------------------

When working with PCB related data, we recommend using FAB3k (ACE is a general purpose file translator).

Quick Note about V7: Both older ACE V7 and FAB V7 used a different 3D conversion engine which some people prefer for their 3D conversions.  You may want to review the results of Version 7 (if you have them installed).

Here's the answers to your questions:

a) What is wrong with the PCB in the 3D STEP file from FAB3000?  
It appears that you just need to output a 3D  bare-board representation from ODB++?   If yes, here's a quick video showing me convert an ODB++ to 3D bare-board, 

b) Why the FAB3000 workspace is not compatible with ACE3000?
ACE and FAB 3K are completely different - FAB is way more comprehensive.  The Ace workspace ends with *.ace, whereas FAB3000 workspace *.wrk.
Typically there's not a need to transfer/share workspace files between ACE and FAB, because FAB and ACE already export the same file formats.

c) Why are there two missing holes in the ACE3000 file?
I would need a sample source file and conversion settings used - to determine any further information.  

If you just need to convert a Bare-board from ODB++, it should be a straight forward process (like the tutorial example I created - above).  Feel free to send me the original source files and let me know what purpose for your 3D -- I can review and create a tutorial movie.

Thanks again.

---
Simon Garrison - Applications Manager
Visit Numerical Innovations

Login or Signup to post a comment