Start a new topic

I would like to be able to generate a 3D file that is simply the thickness of the PCB as determined by the layer settings (or by me entering the known finished value), and then component locations on top/bottom.

I think ideally, I would like to be able to generate a 3D file that is simply the thickness of the PCB as determined by the layer settings (or by me entering the known finished value), and then component locations on top/bottom. Basically, what the PCB viewer gives you, but in 3D. I don’t need all the detail of the entire layer exported into individual entities; I would even prefer they be combined into 1 entity/object (per layer or overall by choice) to simplify the export. For me, the importance of a 3D export is to:

1. Capture the real-world size and geometry of the overall object
  2. Capture the positions/sizes of the components
  3. Capture the position/sizes of through hole drills.

Any chance you could update the 3D exporter to be able to work like this in an upcoming update?

Starting with FAB V8.4, this quickly is possible.  In this quick tutorial I opened an IPC-2581 (or ODB++) and then exported a STEP file by going to menu:  File / Export / 3D STEP...

https://numericalsoftware-update.s3.amazonaws.com/tutorials/2022-12-04_18-38-28_pcb_enclosure.mp4

Login or Signup to post a comment