Start a new topic

I translated some DXF to gerber files and sent them to our PCB vendor - but they couldn't open them?

I translated some DXF to gerber files and sent them to our PCB vendor - but they couldn't open them?

[QUOTE]I translated some DXF to gerber files and sent them to our PCB vendor to see if they are the appropriate format.  They were unable to open the files, so I’m not sure the software produces the kind of gerbers I need.  Or perhaps the output is restricted?  But I can’t verify that ACE is putting out the right files if I can’t send them to a PCB vendor for verification.  What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Miranda has forwarded me your email response, thank you.   All gerbers generated from ACE 3000 are RS-274X gerber should be 100% compatible for PCB manufacturing.  Feel free to send me the sample Gerber files (or whatever data you sent them), and I'll be very happy to take a look and let you know what happened?

Thanks again!

Simon
Thanks for sending the sample Gerber and Drill.  You did a great job, and those are definitely valid Gerber and Drill files; and they load into every free Gerber Viewer & CAM tool I have tried.  Here's a quick tutorial showing me importing those files using into the free Gerber Viewer gerbv (you can use almost any popular gerber viewer).
http://screencast.com/t/SMouiecv

Note:  The only thing I can think of is your design appears to be about 70 inches in width, so perhaps the scaling is off.  I can't imagine why they would say those gerbers are not valid -- unless they're using 15 year old CAM software that doesn't support polygons (but that was so long ago when PCB fabricators couldn't handle polygons).

Feel free to submit this reply to your board shop and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Best regards,
Simon
Login or Signup to post a comment