Start a new topic

I'm having trouble with some font conversions, I'm using ProE to create my drawing using a Ariel narrow font.

I'm having trouble with some font conversions, I'm using ProE to create my drawing using a Ariel narrow font.
1 Comment

I'm having trouble with some font conversions, I'm using ProE to create
my drawing using a Ariel font, then I create a dxf using the convert "as text" feature
then bring the dxf into Ace everything seems to be fine, except if I use a variant of Ariel, like Ariel narrow or Ariel bold I'm getting a faint , thin font in Ace. If I create a dxf of my drawing in ProE using the "as separated entities" Feature and then bring into Ace, all the text shifts off the drawing.

1.  ACE 3000 comes with about 50 common fonts installed.  ARIEL is a common font and is included as one of the 50 fonts.  If you want to use a non-common font (like Ariel Narrow, etc.), then first you will need to compile that font (go to ACE menu:  Help | Compile True Types Fonts...) and select Ariel Narrow (or whatever font you choose).  ACE 3000 will now compile and create a *.fnt file which it may use during the conversion.

2. The "faint/thin" font you saw was the TXT.fnt (which is the default font) used when ACE 3000 cannot map a *.fnt with your DXF font.  To verify the font mapping during DXF Import Options, please check the tab "Styles", and then view the font mapping.  You can change and assign the default font to use.  Typically ACE 3000 will automatically map the fonts for you unless it cannot find a perfect match.

Note:  This is the same font mapping that AutoCAD (the originators of DXF) will perform when loading a DXF that has a font not installed on the end-user computer.  For example my computer did not have the ARIALN.TTF file, so AutoCAD substituted it with Simplex.shx

Note:  Here's a sample movie tutorial I created showing me compiling a font (I don't have Arial Narrow on my computer so I made some substitutions).
http://screencast.com/t/7IQ91N1S

3. On the DXF file you outputted "as separated entities", I notice there are some entities (like the logo) that are not scaled uniformly when viewing in AutoCAD.  I'll need to check in detail to see what occurred, but actually the text is outputted fine its the rest of the drawing that was shifted.

Note:  Typically the DXF files generated from ProE are not great for conversions of masks and do require some kind of cleanup (join lines, adjust scaling in Z-Axis, map fonts, etc.).  Remember, that ACE 3000 comes with full-editing capabilities so you are free to change fonts, shift objects, and modify anything you need before exporting  (including composite levels).

Login or Signup to post a comment