Start a new topic

Square Edges Issue during DXF Import

Hello,

I've recently been working with this software in order to convert my AutoCAD dwg files to the Gerber format, but when I import the dwg into the program and set the 1 DWG UNIT = [1.0] = milimeter, set the layers to join and DeEmbed only, and then press 'Next', my edges are all rounded instead of square like in the AutoCAD program. Now, when I do all of those same things, except I put 1 DWG UNIT = [1.0] = inch, the edges are all perfectly squared as I would like for them to be.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in this matter as I have spent the past two days attempting to search for an answer and wrestling with the software, with very little luck.

Also, attached are pictures of what I mean by the 'rounded' edges and 'squared' edges.

Actually noting has really changed between both of your results.  A round trace is used to draw both of your final conversions.  The Inch results look square because it is scaled much larger, and the millimeter results look rounded because the scale is much smaller (the same width line is used to draw both).

The following two blogs should be helpful when performing DWG to Gerber conversions.

1. Our guidelines for converting AutoCAD to Gerber:

http://www.numericalinnovations.com/blogs/news/6116174-dxf-dwg-to-gerber-conversion-guidelines

2. A recent blog post about converting Solidworks DXF to Gerber:

http://www.numericalinnovations.com/blogs/news/how-to-convert-a-solidworks-dxf-to-gerber

In my opinion when looking at your sample image it appears you want to have an outer rectangle filled with smaller rectangles and a center cross to be clear. You should always avoid those "inner cut-lines (used to attached your inner objects) and just draw the outlines in AutoCAD.  During the conversion check the DXF layer option called "DeEmbed" (to tell FAB 3000 to determine what is Dark/Clear) and you will get perfect results.  Use the same settings from the Solidworks blog post (above) for help.

Note:  Boundaries with cut-lines can cause problems in Gerber and is not recommend - stated directly in the gerber format guide.

Lastly, can you let me know where the difficulty was in finding answers?  We recently introduced a new help desk with hundreds of topics, and I'd like to know how we can make it more helpful for you.

Thanks.

Simon

Hello Simon,

Now that you've mentioned the line width, I found the default line width setting and have been playing around with that with some great results. Now I am wondering, if I were to send this Gerber file off to be plotted, would my photo-plots turn out with these rounded edges or do I need to make the default line width smaller in order for these to appear square on my photo-plots? If I need to go smaller, then will I need to worry about making these widths too small for them to be visible on my photo-plots?

Is there a way to change the trace from a round trace to something that won't round off my edges? It is very important that these designs are perfectly squared for my research.

I've tried searching in multiple locations within the support, but I believe that my lack of technical expertise in this particular field, i.e. not knowing the jargon and terminology commonly used with regards to this software and processes, might be what is causing me to have difficulties figuring these things out on my own.

Both support articles that you sent me before have been helpful, I was able to somehow stumble across those before you had sent them to me.

Thanks for your questions.

Probably the best thing to do is go back in your AutoCAD drawing, and convert those lines to LWPolylines with Width; then Save and convert that new DWG.  Whatever width you choose will be the exact width that shows up in the final Gerbers.  Make sure while importing your DWG into FAB 3000, that you verify the Import Layer option: Wide Polyline and choose "Default" (or Polygon) for any layers that require the Polylines to look exactly as they do in AutoCAD (i.e. square edges). See screen capture:

Best regards,

Simon

A

Agn001 replied 2 hours ago (Thu, 21 Jul at 5:54 PM)

to : support@numericalinnovations.freshdesk.com

Hello Simon,

I was able to finally convert the files into the format that I wanted. I appreciate all of your tips and support this entire time and I will be glad to reach out to this support system whenever I may need assistance in the future.

Thank you,

Aaron Nicholson

University of Arkansas

Chemistry & Biochemistry

Graduate PhD Student

Hello Simon,

I was able to finally convert the files into the format that I wanted. I appreciate all of your tips and support this entire time and I will be glad to reach out to this support system whenever I may need assistance in the future.

Thank you,

Aaron Nicholson

Login or Signup to post a comment