Start a new topic

Loading a generic geometry

Loading a generic geometry

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to load a very generic geometry consisting of an arbitrary number of triangles into ACE 3000.

The file is simply ASCII and each line consists of 6 values in the format (x1, y1, x2, y2, x3, y3). I can also easily generate a second file that contains the faces (i.e. vertex1 vertex2 vertex3) that references the vertices in the first file.

I have tried various MATLAB routines (e.g. DXFLib) to generate a known file format, but it fails if the number of triangles grows too large. I have also tried DW-2000, but I can't say enough negative things about that poorly designed software. I'm hoping ACE 3000 can somehow accomplish this task.

The file sizes are quite big, on the order of 0.5 - 1 GB, or around 10,000,000 triangles. I cannot generate the layouts in any other manner initially (it must start with triangles) but I'm obviously trying to get it into a more manageable form.

Any help you can provide in this regard would be appreciated.
Currently ACE 3000 only accepts standard CAD/EDA/Graphic formats for input, so a set of triangles would not work (unless you can output to STL format which consists of triangles).

However, our next major release of ACE 3000 in September 2012 has a C++ engine built in which will allow you to write simple programs to create custom importers & exporters for ACE 3000.  This means you'll be able to have ACE 3000 import to any format, and also export to any format.

Note:  Feel free to email your sample Triangle format ( support@numericalinnovations.com ), and we'll be happy to take a look and build you a C++ import template.

-Simon

http://www.numericalinnovations.com
Login or Signup to post a comment